Temperature last night in Bangalore was around 14.6 degrees (as per the newspaper). My home is surrounded by open environment and I was a bit lazy to get up and came to ThoughtWorks (Venue of BarCamp) by 9:30 AM. There was a lot of buzz around and key Campers are already running around for arrangements. Had my breakfast (sponsored by TCS) and now hooked on to the net to start another exciting day ahead.
The best thing which can happen this morning is that one person from Pittsburg has contacted me mentioning that he has seen my slides on http://slideshare.net (All BarCamp Bangalore 2 presentations can be found under the Tag heading “barcampbangalore2”). I am so very happy this morning to be a part of this exciting camp.
There are quite a good number of interesting sessions today and will try to give my best shot to provide as much information as I can when I attend sessions…
WiMax – Sujai
· According to DoT, there are 1.2 Million Broadband users in India (~1.2% of total population)
· Only 4 Million subscribers can go DSL because of various concerns.
· WiMax makes sense because people can get Wireless without Broadband. This is also inexpensive.
· WiMax is rapidly picking up. There are many organization pitching in for WiMax because of many advantages.
· WiMax comes on a WAN..
Sujai explains few myths about WiMax.
RFID – Short Distance
BlueTooth – Lot of hype, but we realized it fails in many situations.
WiFi – LAN, small area.
MAN – WiMax comes into picture.
GSM – 10-12 KM Radius.
· Sujai has shown a complete detailed slide on various frequencies.
· WiMax comes in various frequencies and various flavors.
· Timelines (A Bit old data)
? 2006/7 – Deployment of Fixed “Outdoor” Wireless
? 2008/9 – Fixed WiMax “Indoor”
? 2009/10 – Mobile WiMax.
· Visit Sujai’s presentation (he mentioned that he would put it up there) on http://slideshare.net (under Tag barcampbangalore2) . Its worth a visit.
Commute Easy – Car Pooling in Bangalore
www.CommuteEasy.com – is a website for a social cause. Like Bangalore, many other metros in India and over the world have real traffic problems.
This is a very good site, with a pure social cause and not-for-profit. There are already 2400 registered users and ~200 active car pool’s through this site already!
What are you waiting for? Save fuel – Save Environment…..
SlideShare – Jon, CTO, SlideShare
http://slideshare.net – A common place to share and run your presentations online. Example, all the presentations at Bar Camp, Bangalore 2 are available on this site with the tag name
· You cannot currently download the presentations – SS is working on this.
· No Privacy – Do not post private/confidential presentations – SS is working on this.
Microfinance 2.0: How web 2.0 is helping to explore the Fortune at the Bottom – Siva Prasad
· Provided an insight into Dr. CKP’s Pyramid.
· Size of a loan ranges from Rs.3000 – Rs.12,000.
· Without MF, clients pay from 50%-100% annualized interest rate (Money lender system)
· MFI’s charge 12%-24%
· Repayment rates are above 99%.
· Agency for rating MFI – Example, http://www.m-cril.com/rating-microfinance-rating-methodology.html
Characteristics of Web 2.0
· An architecture of participation and democracy
· Users exercise control over the data
· Network as a platform
· Some social networking aspects
· A rich, interactive, user-friendly interface.
How Web 2.0 is useful for MF?
· Is a bridge for world wide fund investors and the beneficiary.
· Agents like Papal etc will help in mediating the money which is flowing to the MFI.
· The opportunity here is that instead of investing money in banks or financial institutions, Web can play a role in mediating and providing an opportunity for people to invest in Micro financing for better/equivalent returns.
PictureSquare.com – An initiative by 2 IIT Mumbai guys
This is similar to flickr or any other photo storing solutions.
Problem: How to connect back to home (India) with pictures – HardCopy… thats interesting.
USP: You can upload, share and print picutres which can be delivered home.
I think today really added value to my exposure. Definitely made new contacts and am waiting to see if I can be of help to anyone.
BarCamp Bangalore 2.0 is almost closing and am waiting for the BarCamp Bangalore 3.0